Help, dying palms!

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by paidea, Jun 22, 2010.

1. paidea

paidea Member

Hi there, anyone know what these palms (?) are and why they dying? going brown and would like to save them!

Attached Files:

2. Harry Homeowner

Harry Homeowner Active Member

I am not really sure as to why it is not doing well however - I feel you have some kind of tree ferns (possibly something in the Cyatheaceae family - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyatheaceae). Furthermore it might even be Cyathea cooperi - probably the most widely planted tree fern and widely available.

3. paidea

paidea Member

Thanks Harry...obviously ferns...once you say it...haha, I used to teach freshman biology and characteristics of ferns were part of it, once you said it I really looked at them and felt a bit a fool...just shows how much you forget with time. I'll keep looking for what might be killing them, though I worry it may just be they've outgrown the shade and with summer heat, its the sun! ugh. Thanks again.

4. Lauriek

Lauriek Member

Actually it is not a palm but possibly Cyathea cooperi. Cyathea australis, Cyathea cooperi and also Dicksonia antartica - three tree ferns native to Australia don't like heat and dryness. They all prefer moist conditions and maybe the one in the photo has been affected by too much direct sun, lack of water. Doesn't explain why the others are surviving though!