Hellebore ID

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Margot, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

After giving a Hellebore presentation to a local garden club last night, a woman came up to ask if I knew the name of her favorite. No. I'm hoping that one of you may recognize it out of the hundreds, if not thousands, of cultivars that have come on the market these past 20 years.

Attached Files:

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

For accuracy.....Helleborus x hybridus.
    As I understand stuff....Over last 30 or so years a lot of work has been done here in UK by experts cross pollinating special Hellebors to give an incredible range of colours, double flowers etc etc.
    Many were given names.
    But the next generation will only be true to that name IF the parent plant is divided.
    Other people will grow from the seed and then you could get a different plant.
    In our old garden I spent a fortune buying named cultivars. ..we had quite a collection.
    In the end I renamed every single one Helleborus x hybridus.
    Loved them all.
    In the end what does it really matter what it is called.
    That one in your pic is a beauty.

Sundrop likes this.
  3. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Yes, I agree the hellebore in the photo is most likely Helleborus x hybridus. With so many growers around the world now crossing up to 20 hellebore species, it seems almost anything is possible. Unless the flower in the photo has been produced via tissue culture, I think it would be next to impossible to say even which strain or series it belongs with.

Silver surfer likes this.