Go to First Unread

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by wcutler, Feb 1, 2017.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I was just sent to the xenForo forums and see that in the multi-page threads, where the pages are listed, they have a button that says Go to First Unread. I'm still frustrated about the difficulty of linking properly to a posting when I'm viewing latest first,
    Linking to a posting in a multi-page thread - is posting order always a problem?
    so am trying to see how difficult it really is to manage the VCBF threads if they're displayed first posting first, which to me makes no sense at all ever, but particularly for those threads where only the latest postings are really of interest. Still, if there were such a prominent button going right to the end, or the first unread posting, maybe that would it make more sense. Since it's used on the xenForo forum, is that just a matter, Daniel, of switching on some option?

GoToFirstUnread.jpg

2. wcutler

I see you've done that. Thanks. Since Edge browser takes me to the top of the page when I exit the photo viewer (which I've reported to xenForo, seems they can't reproduce it, but it happens to me on their system too), I'm using that button to get back to the latest posting.

3. wcutler

And now I don't see it. I used it, but now I'm not seeing it. Was it only a test in one forum, needs to be done in each forum?

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I've not done anything with this.

5. wcutler

Oh, I get it. It's there when I have gone to the thread from an email notification link. And it stays there when I exit the lightbox viewer and am taken by the Edge browser to the top of the page.
    GoToFirstUnread-UBCBG.jpg

I have no idea how I got it to appear on that xenForo thread. I did not get a notification about that. I think I was just looking for long threads with photos to test my lightbox exit problem. It doesn't appear there now.

I suppose that means it's not easily possible to have it there all the time.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017