In The Garden: Giant vegetable?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Richard E Masson, May 5, 2019.

1. Richard E Masson

Richard E Masson Active Member

Last Autumn I was given a number of vegetable plugs that were to be thrown away as all the labels had fallen off and were lost. Most of which I was able to identify by there visual appearance.
    I planted them all - some in my greenhouse soil and some outside in my veg patch.
    Of these I planted outside there are three the same and now very large plants have grown which I think are celeriac but have no visible base? (The soil they were planted in was new topsoil and full of nutrients.)
    I would like to I D for certain.
    Any help appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Heathen

Heathen Active Member

I might be being alarmist because I keep seeing it around, but those look like they might be poison hemlock. Lots of similar things in the family though so hopefully someone else will chime in.

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes, looks like Conium maculatum - should have an associated sinister odor. Probably got in there on its own.

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  4. Richard E Masson

Richard E Masson Active Member

I turned out this plant was a type of Celery. It certainly did look like Hemlock but had no smell. I note both plants are in the family Apiaeae so not surprising some similarities.
    However —- just to be sure I dug them up wearing thick gloves and face cover and got rid of them!