Gentian?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by tbcgron, Sep 2, 2005.

1. tbcgron

tbcgron Active Member

Me again.
    It looks to me like a gentian. We have Fringed Gentian in numbers here, but that doesn't have the stamens looking out. The other species in my books don't cover this one. Any help appreciated.

Thomas

Attached Files:

2. wrygrass2

wrygrass2 Active Member 10 Years

Hi Thomas,

Most probably Gentienella(Gentian) amarella. Check out this thread about genus Gentienella. Fringe arises from the base of the corolla lobes themselves, stamens are inserted (within the tube of corolla, below the fringe). Are you saying that other than the fringe in the picture the stamens are exserted too? It doesn't appear so in your picture, but might be my bad eyesight.

Harry

Last edited: Sep 3, 2005
  3. tbcgron

tbcgron Active Member

Hi Harry, don't you ever sleep?

What I meant with my unscientific comment about the stamens ticking out, was that in the Fringed Gentian the stamens lies well below where the petals fold outwards. In this one, the stamens stick out beyond the fold, but indeed bot beyond the the "unfolded" corolla. The pictures of gentinaella amarella are so poor that I could not see this, neither on the the pics I found in a web search. But the picture by Hlasek is convincing.

Thanks once again, Harry.

I am going to dare post these three pics, which are not as descriptive as they should be, but maybe you or somone else will recognize them. # 1 and three were taken early in June in an abandoned gravel pit. # 2 looks like a Goldenrod, but not quite. It was taken Sept 9 in a pine forest.

Thanks

Thomas

Attached Files:

4. wrygrass2

wrygrass2 Active Member 10 Years

Turns out the scan I posted was a possible copyright infringement, so I deleted it. het.

Sorry about the new batch of photos. The first two look familiar, but don't come to mind.

Harry

Last edited: Sep 4, 2005
  5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Photo number three of the new batch is something in the Caryophyllaceae, I think. The second one might be one of the "white asters". For some of the latter, they've been classified at times in the genus Solidago (goldenrods) and other times in one of the old (or new) genera that broadly cover asters.

6. Harri Harmaja

Harri Harmaja Active Member 10 Years

# 3 looks like longstalk starwort (Stellaria longipes) of Caryophyllaceae. It is a native species - or species aggregate - of northern North America.

Cheers Harri

7. tbcgron

tbcgron Active Member

Thanks again, guys.

You do a great job!

Thomas