Garden journals?

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by Daniel Mosquin, Feb 23, 2005.

?

Garden journals?

Poll closed Mar 2, 2005.
  1. Yes, I'd use a garden journal.

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Maybe, I'd need to see what it is like.

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. No, I'm not interested.

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Would there be any interest in setting up a system for people to make "garden journals" through the forums? I've been looking at an add-on to the forums that would allow people to track what's flowering in their garden, what's planted, etc. The journals can be kept private (i.e., for your own personal use) or made public, allowing anyone to view them.

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

cant see as I would have much use for one Daniel. not much of a garden of my own here, I just work in other peoples gardens.

3. mr.shep

mr.shep Well-Known Member 10 Years

I can see the benefit of a garden journal, not necessarily
    for me but for others. It can provide people with some
    information around the world as to what is happening
    at several locations in plants with the various seasons
    such as Winter for us here while others are enjoying
    Summer and going to the beach as we learned in the
    Maple forum.

Also, it will give others a better avenue to write about
    their plants or their favorite plants which can generate
    an interest all its own. Some people may feel threatened
    to post much with some of us around hovering over a
    forum. I think it is a good method to get more involvement
    from people that may not otherwise want to post in a more
    serious thread. Give it a try and see how well it works.

Jim

4. douglas

douglas Active Member 10 Years

Hi

2 cents worth:I think it is a good idea.

lets face it , if it is your own garden, or a clients garden one should(must keep ) a log/ledger. Even if it is a one time thing./or an ongoing adventure.

Case in point I started one in the lower mainland( richmond to chilliwack) , and from other areas . With the temp and enviromental changes going on. It maybe very good to log such things.

Let"s face it things are changing and we can all still learn.

For instance how many kids have sat on a 60lb cabbage. ( in fairbanks alaska) and have thier kids hanging in apple trees.

I am @ 600miles north of the lower mainland and yet the last 3 winters are not as cold or snowie as .the lower mainland was not to long ago.

It may also help keep us informed of imagrant pests / that we all may have to deal / live with in the future.

I believe that there are benefits for both the newbe and for the more experienced..

Regards Doug

5. Thean

Thean Active Member 10 Years

Howdy Daniel,
    I think it's a good idea. However, you have members from across the country. Are you going to divide the journal up into zones?
    Peace
    Thean

6. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

John Davidson, the founder of the UBC Botanical Garden and British Columbia's first Provincial Botanist, had a network of interested volunteers, who sent in reports, seeds and herbarium samples from around the province. If enough people set up public journals and recorded bloom times, growth rates, losses to frost, etc., I am wondering if online journals might turn into a valuable source of information for researchers. Although it would be anecdotal, this could be an efficient way to collect phenological data.

7. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

That's a very interesting idea, Eric.

8. Daniel Mosquin

I've still a notion to do something like this, but I've put it on the backburner since support wasn't overwhelming.