In The Garden: Fungi but what is it called

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by bmac, Jul 25, 2009.

1. bmac

bmac Member

Took this picture this morning. I have two of these growing under an azalea bush...last night we had lots of rain, and it is always shady and damp there. I have never seen anything like this.
    Thanks for any input ...

bmac

Attached Files:

2. Lila Pereszke

Lila Pereszke Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi,
    looks like a Sparassis sp.

3. bmac

bmac Member

Hmm, I googled that and for sure it looks pretty much like that, I am seeing much bigger "waves" not the tight "cauliflower look but as I looked at more pix I see a lot of variety to them so....THANKS! :-)

4. mywan

mywan Active Member

5. bmac

bmac Member

Well, that is close as well, but the "flourishes" on mine are bigger, wavier...
    I had no idea there were so many fungi out there! :-)

Thanks to all who have offered help so far...

6. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Golly, it's gorgeous!!!

7. bmac

bmac Member

Isn't it though? I wish I could preserve it somehow...Glad I got the pix at least.

Thanks again to all

8. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

My huge thanx to togata again for pointing out such amazing fungi to me! I contacted a few myco friends including Britt Bunyard of FUNGI magazine..who just HAPPENS to be at a myco convention with lots of experts...who were able to get a name for us here...Sparassis spathulata
    http://mushroomobserver.org/name/show_name/3725
    Thank you for the images of this lovely fellow!

9. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

And what an appropriately decorative scientific name, too! Sparassis spathulata. Could be used as a sobriety test...if you can pronounce this correctly, you're good to go. Ha!

I know that I say this frequently, but it bears repeating: there is infinite and beautiful variety in the fungal world, and I never cease to be amazed by it. I always thought that fungi were interesting---I'd note the occasional puffball or Monotropa uniflora---but I'll tell ya what: it was the spectacular photography of our own C.Wick that truly showed me the beauty of color, form, and structure I had overlooked all these years. Thank you, C.W., for giving me---and all Forum members---the gift of your artist's eye. I am grateful.

And thanks to bmac. WOW!

10. bmac

bmac Member

gosh, so glad I found this forum when I was looking for some experts!
    I am not any sort o f"botanist" but have always enjoyed plants and gardening and all that. It is nice to have such an appreciative group.

By the way, it is still there and is bigger than ever! I'd say about 12 inches around now. It is like having an alien life form in my back yard. :-)

Bmac

11. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Bmac...you are truly blessed I think to see this wonder! From the info I've gotten it's mostly an East coast occurring beauty. Please keep us updated on this! I'd love to see more photos as it grows and evolves.

togata....I'll tell you...untill I dropped my old camera in a creek and got a new one? I'd never really paid attention much to the tiny myco community. Once I got that camera...I was instantly hooked. I'm always happy to share...and ALWAYS GREATFUL to see what others have found to share!

It's an amazing world out there for us to see...if only we'd open our eyes.