Forums on new server

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by Daniel Mosquin, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Ditto to Michael.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'm also getting the occasional timeouts / long page load times as mentioned by others in previous posts, so we're going to up the RAM on the server to 3GB from 2 permanently. We'll see how far that goes to resolving some of the slowness.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The RAM on the server has now been upped to 3GB.

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

There's something wrong. It just took 10 minutes for the system to log me in. The system is also slow in performing various actions.

5. Daniel Mosquin

Yes, nice of it to wait for a weekend to show up -- I can't access the server from home to check to see what's happening.

6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

It was down for me too for a short time this morning (approx 2 a.m. Vancouver time), but OK the rest of the day.

7. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Slow this afternoon---even slower now (just got on).

8. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

The system was very slow in responding and serving up blank pages again last evening around 945pm local time.

9. Daniel Mosquin

Will report it to the systems admin for the faculty.

10. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I've been finding it really slow, last night and today. Got one "database error", and other times even navigating to forum listings had a long time "waiting for ..." on the status line. Maybe I'm impatient - they didn't actually time out, which other sites do too for me, but only once; this was repeatedly long waits for every page.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  11. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I've been getting the "database error" message as well, starting at about 12 pm my time (so what's that, 10 am Vancouver?) as well as slow loads and slow responses. Last night wasn't so bad, though.

12. Daniel Mosquin

We're upgrading the server from 3GB of RAM to 4GB of RAM today.

Also, we're going to be moving the forums database from an external database server to running off the same machine as the web server -- that should, we're hoping, resolve these brief outages that seemingly occur randomly from time to time.

13. Daniel Mosquin

RAM upgrade complete, the database move will happen another day.

14. wcutler

Slow loading and timeout question

Really slow at one point tonight - 12:22am. I waited a bit, tried another page, got up and filled the kettle, peeled a (small easy-to-peel) orange and ate half of it before the page loaded.

On other sites, after what seems like ages but is surely something like a minute, the page times out with a site not found message and hitting Retry always brings it up instantly. Would this site ever time out, or is it set not to? Would it work better for us if it were allowed to time out?

15. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Re: Slow loading and timeout question

I found the time taken to enlarge pics was just so slow recently that I gave up in the end. I wasn't sure if it was this end or Vancouver end. Very frustrating.

16. wcutler

Re: Slow loading and timeout question

I should clarify - I think I was just trying to load a forum list. Or else, it was a four-posting thread with at most three photos. I had a white screen with nothing loaded and the waiting for UBC Botanical Gardens message or whatever that says on the bottom left.

17. Daniel Mosquin

By brief outages, I meant the server slowing to a crawl.

Should be resolved sometime in the next two weeks.

18. Daniel Mosquin

There will be a brief forums outage today (sometime in the next hour) as we move the database over to the same machine as the web server, and hopefully halt these connectivity / slowness issues.

19. Daniel Mosquin

Almost done, we'll need to restart the database server briefly after some tuning, but we shouldn't need to shut the forums off for that.

Things already seem a bit snappier to me.

20. Daniel Mosquin

With the redesigned main garden site running on Drupal, we were noticing a heavy load on the server again -- so we've temporarily gone from:

1CPU -> 2CPU
    4 GB RAM -> 8 GB RAM

This is a temporary measure until we can spend the time to optimize the server.

The forums, it seems to me, are blazing fast now.

21. Michael F

Very slow all day today, and yesterday, here.

22. Daniel Mosquin

I continue to run a CPU-sucking script that is iterating through 5000 email addresses * 1500 BPotD entries (i.e., 7.5 million lines) in order to clean up a bug -- so, it is fast when that script isn't running.

23. Michael F

Still tediously slow - how much longer is that script going to have to go on running?

24. wcutler

Hmm - I thought you were going to say it was fast! It's been great for me for the last half hour. I'm getting off the computer now - does that make a difference? :)

25. Daniel Mosquin

Hrmmm... I'm finding it fast -- I'm no longer running that script and haven't for a few days. Perhaps your browser / firewall has cached some files or information from the old URL that aren't being replaced by the new URL and that is causing the issue. Sorry, not something I can look at it in more detail right now.