Fern to ID please

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Sigtris, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Sigtris

Sigtris Active Member

I bought this fern yesterday, it was the only one the nursery had, the man could not remember its name, maybe someone here knows its botanical name?
    Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Sigtris

Sigtris Active Member

Someone Identified the fern as: Anglaomorpha "Santa Rosa"
    So thank you.

3. DGuertin

DGuertin Active Member 10 Years

Hmm, going to have to cast a small amount of doubt on that. I have 9 Aglaomorpha Coronans, the mother that 'Santa Rosa' was bastardised from, and your fern shows sigular pinnae; A. Coronans differs there. Now, it could be that this is one of the traits of SR, however, as there is a similarity in the basal shields. This looks too young to spore, correct? That would help. Either way, a very nice piece, and one I'd be glad to have myself!

4. Sigtris

Sigtris Active Member

Hello Dguertin; After someone ID it as Santa Rosa, I did some searches and found pictures tagged Santa Rosa almost exactly as my fern.
    That Fern is been in the place (not pot) for at least 12 years, it was tiny when I got as a gift.
    I will search for images for your suggestion, and post back
    Thank you

5. Sigtris

Sigtris Active Member

Dguertin, I just finished looking at pictures of Aglaomorpha Coronans and mine is different, I saw that A Coronans is an epiphyte and mine is not.
    Thank you

6. DGuertin

DGuertin Active Member 10 Years

Naturally, yes, they are epiphytes. I don't take any claims of epiphytic nature too terribly seriously, though, as I have 24 'epiphytes,' only one of which is growing without soil. I have two Polypodium Aureum, one with soil, one without, and the one with soil is doing far better in every regard.

Keep in mind that epiphytes effectively make their own soil by trapping debris in nature, so the biggest challenge that I've found so far is in finding pots that allow the width needed (I genuinely dislike sectioning and dividing ferns) without getting too much depth.

How deep do the roots go on yours? Even the largest of my ACs, a 10" hanging basket that already needs to be redone (again), only has root penetration to about 2" These grow rather quite vigorously, despite claims to the contrary that they are 'slow growers.' I had to repot everything at least once last year. The smaller, spore-grown ones went from 3" pots to 6", most that were in 6's had to be repotted twice last year, and are now in 8" - 10"s... The shape of the pot seems to have a noticeable effect on that.

How big is yours anyway? Looks like a MONSTER! I love it!