Don't know how

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by BBunker, Nov 4, 2006.

1. BBunker

BBunker Active Member

I keep seeing the following text on some of the postings, "Moved to another forum". I would like to know how to do this too. Can any one tell me how to move one of my posts to a different forum.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I think that is done by the moderator.

3. ginger749

ginger749 Active Member

Ditto. what Ron said.

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2015
  5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Now I think that is done by the moderator and by contributors.

Actually, I think I did read once that contributors could move threads.

6. BBunker

BBunker Active Member

Thankyou so much for the info. As per the link you provided, I just have to post more, then I will get that ability. (After a combination of 30 posts and being a forum member for 20 days - I can move own threads.)

7. ginger749

ginger749 Active Member

Wont be long now for both of us.

8. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hopefully there won't be a lot of reason to have to move your threads. What is generally happening is that new people don't know where to place their posts or don't understand the system and just place their post in the first forum they come to. One of us moderators moves the post to the correct forum and leaves a redirect, so that the poster will be able to find their own post. This redirect lasts for five days, by which time we assume the poster has come back and figured out what happened.

9. BBunker

BBunker Active Member

Thankyou, that is good to know. You may be the person to ask. I have a number of succulents I purchased at Lowes and Walmart. About 3/4 of the time the plant no longer has a name tag, so I have no idea what the plant is called. I have posted in the Cactus and Succulents Forum, the Indoor Plants Forum, and the Identifying Plants Forum and have gotten quite a few replies back on what the plants are. (The forums are fantastic!!!) The replies I have received have pointed me in the direction I should look for further information. My question is, how do I find out specific names for plants, not only if a plant is an Aeonium or an Echeveria but specifically which Aeonium it is.

10. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

To determine the proper ID of plants, one consults others, like posting pics and a description on the forums or taking the plant to some experts at a university, nursery, or some other entity that employs plant experts. And one consults books and websites that offer technical descriptions of the plants. Some plants are much harder to research than others--there is very little published on some plants.

In this thread, I list some of the web authorities that I use to track down current plant names and info:
    http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=20369

I know very little about succulents. You just have to follow what leads you find here and elswhere to ID your plants as best you can. Sometimes it takes years to figure out what things are, sometimes they remain a mystery. Some wild collected plants at the UBC Botanic Garden have not been ID'd to the species after years in our collection.

11. BBunker

BBunker Active Member

Thankyou so much for the link to all the great web sites. I had a fantastic time checking them out.