Dogwood anthracnose

Discussion in 'Cornus (dogwoods)' started by Unregistered, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Hi...I have an older white dogwood in my yard in Qualicum and everyone says it is probably infested with Anthracnose. I just sprayed it with copper spray but know there is much more to do due to the problem.
    My questions:
    l. Am I wise to cut it down?
    2. Could I put a dogwood satomi in where it is removed?Do you recommend this type of dogwood?Would it be prone to disease to put the new one in the old space?
    3. Should I be spraying other dogwoods in the yard to prevent disease?
    I am rather at a standstill knowing what to do. It is a big tree near the front of the house and would miss having one there.
    Thank you...Leigh

2. pierrot

pierrot Active Member 10 Years

Hello Leigh

There are several dogwoods available that are semi-resistant to Dogwood anthracnose.

A common cultivar used in the lower mainland of BC is China Girl or the Cornus kousa hybrid 'Celestial'. you may also want to try the Cornus kousa hybrid 'Constelation'

It would be a shame to cut down the dogwood . Spray regularly with copper all the dogwwods in your yard. it is part of being in a coastal or maritime climate that certain species will be more affected by disease than others. You should also go into a regular feeding programme foir the dogwoods. a granular rose food with balanced trace elements should help bring back the tree into health. One handfull for every 2-3ft of tree height every 6-8 weeks starting in march so March, May, July and September should do it for the fertilizing.

if the tree is in the lawn it is essential that you get the fetilizer below trhe grass roots so that the dogwood gets it not the lawn. Dig some small holes out at the drip line of the tree about 8inches deep. usually I use a mallet and a piece of rebar. add one handful into the hole. repeat digging the holes as is necessary to fulfill the one handful for every 2-3 feet of tree height formula.

The theory is just like us the tree needs a balanced diet with trace elements and major nutrients to be healthy. if not just like some of us it ends up grouchy and grumbly!!

hope this helps

Pierrot

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Constellation is a registered trademark. The cultivar is 'Rutcan'.

Do not fertilize without sampling your soil and having it analyzed. Take samples of diseased parts to an independent garden center or other source you trust for commentary on what may be wrong. Search internet for "dogwood disease" and look at plant disease books for more information. VanDusen Botanical Display Garden on Oak Street, Vancouver has an attended horticultural library that is open to the public. There is also a collection in the UBC offices.

4. mr.shep

mr.shep Well-Known Member 10 Years

Ron, are you hearing any reports in the Pacific
    Northwest of this pathogen overwintering on
    Cornus nuttallii and Cornus florida with the
    resultant visible cankers in the branches and
    later on the trunks? I was just wondering if
    this form is the same as the Discula destructiva
    found on the East Coast. The symptoms as
    described and the photos by WSU are closer
    to what we see on many of our Ash here in
    the Spring - Gnomoniella fraxini (Discula
    fraxinea
    ).

Dogwood Anthracnose factsheet

Dogwood Anthracnose

ANTHRACNOSE DISEASES OF TREES

Jim

5. Ron B

I know nothing.

6. mr.shep

mr.shep Well-Known Member 10 Years

Sorry Ron, I did not mean to single you
    out or put you on the spot. If you hear
    of anything later on let me know.

Jim

7. Ron B

Wouldn't that be putting me on the leafspot?