Does any one know name of Daisy-like flower

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Raingirl, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Raingirl

Raingirl Member

Hello can anyone identify this plant for me: in Port Alberni in bloom right now? Thanks image1.jpg

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Looks like some kind of Doronicum. I couldn't say which--I'm not that familiar with them. I like that type of flower where the petals radiate so evenly into a disc from the center a lot too.

3. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Doronicum orientale (Leopard's Bane) may be, although leaf margins in the image posted are not as deeply toothed as those in this link http://www.luontoportti.com/suomi/en/kukkakasvit/leopards-bane. Interesting how the leaves are attached to the plant, with basal leaves long-stalked and stalk-less stem leaves.

4. Raingirl

Raingirl Member

thank you for the quick replies: I have saved them from being plucked out of my friends garden as a weed. regards L.

5. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

You did right thing. A little of sunshine in the rainy early spring. Happy Easter!

6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

7. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    i remember this type of yellow spring daisy (about 18 inches tall) being common in the old mill-town gardens on the west coast here BC - in the 1960's.\

i don't think it was particularly invasive. (seeds or runners)

as common as old primroses, lilacs, quince, "soldiers & sailors" (pulmonaria) - and various roses and esp hydrangea (SUMMER) and the other old-fashioned dependable plants that were easy to grow, and easy to "DIVIDE" and share with neighbors etc - so pretty much every townsite garden would have them.

PS - EDIT to add - I think this is not a good cut flower - it droops pretty quickly - I remember as kids we'd try and pick it (no thorns, nice bright color, open face) - but it would droop. Looks great in the spring garden, tho. Nice save.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  8. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

They'll last quite well in water if you pick the stems long, get them into water fairly quickly, and then cut off the bottom 5 cm of stem under water. That stops any air block forming in the bottom of the cut stem which otherwise prevents them taking up water.

9. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    ah, that would be a similar technique with hydrangeas etc? I find that if I pick my nice "Blushing Bride" hydrangeas - they droop. Maybe a new thread here - as it does make me wonder because Hydr. are something I can grow well.

----------

I think it was a 1950's kid memory that these yellow daisy type flowers - please see original post - they drooped - as in - we'd run outside, leap about in her BC coast mill-town flower bed, pick the flowers and haul them back in to mother as she was busy doing 10 other duties with an oil stove for cooking/baking, pressure cooker (of the old fashioned type) and a wringer washer - all while listening for the mill whistle to sound for our Dad's lunch time break ----- good old BC!

10. abgardeneer

abgardeneer Active Member

It's Doronicum pardalianches, as said (different structure than D. orientale).