Cypress?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by maggiec, Aug 5, 2007.

1. maggiec

maggiec Active Member 10 Years

Please help ID this plant and more importantly, the size it will eventually grow to. My sister went crazy over evergreens but now has decided to give some away. However, I'm afraid if I plant this in the ground, it might get too big.

I'm hoping the curly floppy growth means it won't get too tall.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Maybe try Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Coralliformis' or 'Torulosa'.

3. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Probably good guesses. Probably won't get too big. But also, you can prune to control size, and if it gets too big you can remove it.

4. maggiec

Whew. When I googled just c. obtusa, info said it reaches heights of 75 ft. Thank goodness it looks like 'Coralliformis' is much smaller. (After comparing photos, I think this is probably the one) Funny thing is, some sources say it will mature at 2-5' while others say 20' or more.

Thanks again for the info. I think I'll go ahead and put it into the ground.

5. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Probably depends on your climate. If you have very cold winters then it won't be going anywhere soon. :)
    Liz

6. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Plants never actually stop growing, so it all depends on how many years out they are estimating it to be "mature." But like I said, you can control it to an extent. You can prune it to limit height or to limit width. Though basically you want a plant that is in scale with its spot, so good for you for checking.

7. maggiec

Most sources say it'll be about 5 ft in 10 yrs and maybe 12 ft in 35 yrs. I guess I can handle that. I don't mind pruning but, yes, it would be quite a job if the tree wants to go to 75 ft. I had to take out a sambucus once that proved to be a real pain, and since then I've been more cautious.