Creepy vine

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by brigittefires, Sep 30, 2006.

1. brigittefires

brigittefires Member

And I do mean creepy! It pushed my window up by an inch in 2 days!!

I've been all over the internet trying to find this thing to no avail. This thing has been removed a couple times and it just keeps growing back. It's taken over the entire yard and now it's trying to get into the house!!

Images can be found at http://pics.livejournal.com/brigittefires/gallery/0000e4dg (since I can't seem to get any to upload into the post)

2. tipularia

tipularia Well-Known Member 10 Years

Looks like some sort of gourd.

3. brigittefires

brigittefires Member

The spikey pods are roughly 1 inch in diameter. I think they turn into the flower bundles but I'm not sure.

Haven't seen any gourd-type growths from it. And if so I hope they're edible!!!

I don't know if it matters but these pics were taken from a second story window (the one it's trying to get inside). Just so you have an idea how big it is.

4. tipularia

It will have flowers before any type of pod, which are produced from the fertilized ovary of the flower. What you see might be flower buds. Gourds are any member of the Cucurbitaceae family, which contains over 700 species such as squash, pumpkins, and cucumbers. Some of them are very fast growers. You should be able to tell what it is when it produces fruit or if you find someone in the area, who is familiar with the vine.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Going just by discussion here maybe wild cucumber (Echinocystis lobata).

6. Debra Dunaway

Debra Dunaway Active Member

Sorry Brigitte, If it was a gourd I probably would be able to tell you as curcubits as somewhat of my specialty but I can't seem to find the post or my computer will not let me have it. If you can get the picture on this site I might be able to help you. Deb

7. tipularia

8. Debra Dunaway

Debra Dunaway Active Member

Brigitte, That vine of yours is a Sicyos angulatus (Bur cucumber). Sorry to say they are listed as a noxious weed in Delaware, Indiana and Kentucky. Try ripping it out again and place some clear poly over the earth where it was growing and tuck down the sides. The seeds will germinate again underneath and will quickly die. Best of luck! Deb

Last edited: Oct 1, 2006
  9. brigittefires

brigittefires Member

Many thanks, Deb, for your help! Looked up some pictures and you're right that's exactly what I have. Seems I'm pretty allergic to it too! But at least now I know how to remove it. Thanks again for all your help everyone, I appreciate the research.