Could you please help identify these

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Tiago, Jun 29, 2021.

1. Tiago

Tiago New Member

Hello,

I am new to this forum and wanted to ask if you could please help me identify the following plants (3 species in total - all germinated from unknown seeds, by myself).

1/5 and 2/5 are photos of the same plant. Germinated in about 3 weeks. Age in the photos - about 8 weeks. About 5" tall.
    3/5 germinated in about 5-7 days. Age in the photos - about 6 weeks. About 4" tall.
    4/5 and 5/5 are photos of the same plants. Germinated in about 3 days. One of them about 17" tall and the other one - about 19". Age in the photos - about 6 weeks.

I've been told that 1/5 and 2/5 is a Butia Odorata but based on some online research of mine, I don't really think that's the case. I've seen photos online of Butia Capitata seedlings and the leaves don't really resemble what I've got in 1/5 and 2/5. Also, the stem of the one I've got appears to be too weak to support the branches.

Hope this is sufficient context. Apologies about the bad photo quality.

Thanks for your time!

Attached Files:

2. Tiago

Tiago New Member

A brief update - the plant in 1/5 and 2/5 has been confirmed to be a weed.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Why are the seeds unknown? Did the first turn out to be something in the mustard family?

Tiago likes this.
  4. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

3. MAY be Aquilegia or Thalictrum.

Tiago likes this.
  5. Tiago

Tiago New Member

The seeds are unknown because I naively sowed them without keeping track of their names (frankly, didn't believe any of them would germinate, because I hadn't had much success with some other ones I'd sown outdoors).
    The first one has been confirmed to be a weed (an unknown one to me - for me it was important to know whether it was a Butia or not) by the vendor from which I purchased that particular type of seeds.

Indeed, it is an aquilegia - now I've remembered after checking photos (also of seed packaging) online.

Just to confirm - I need the names in order to look up instructions regarding how to continue taking care of the plants, in the best possible way.

Thanks very much!

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

It's a clue for us to know what the possibilities are -- are these purportedly native species, or tropicals, or... the last looks like it could be in the Phrymaceae or possibly Caryophyllaceae.

Tiago likes this.
  7. Tiago

Tiago New Member

Only the plant in 1/5 and 2/5 was supposed to be a Butia odorata.
    The rest were annual and semi annual seeds.
    Yes, the last one may've indeed been a Caryophyllaceae!

Thanks a million for your time!