Choking the poppy

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by bcgift52, Apr 12, 2006.

1. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

I thought my poppy was doing really well, but on closer inspection it is something else.
    Would love an id please.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

May still all be poppy, follow some of the different leaves down to their point of attachment to check.

3. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

Thank you Ron. I haven't got to the root of it yet and it does look poppyish but new offshoots are coming up several inches away from the main clump now as well per the picture. Haven't seen such strange behaviour on any of my other poppies.

Attached Files:

4. wrygrass2

wrygrass2 Active Member 10 Years

I think what Ron was trying to point out was that they may be two different plants. Although my mindreading leaves a lot to be desired. :) The idea was to trace the odd leaves and see if they were attached to the same stem/plant as those that looked like poppies. That would be my guess in any case. (After rereading the thread above I think that Ron was saying that the odd leaves might actually be poppy leaves too. As they reseed themselves readily, the new growth might just be the seeds from last year coming up although that usually means a easy coastal winter for them to do that. Here in Spokane you have to actually harvest the seeds and plant in the spring.)

Just out of curiosity there seems to be a shoot growing out of the apex of the leaf center bottom of the picture, next leaf from the bottom one. If not an insect or a shoot from below the leaf, that might help narrow down the id. Harry

Last edited: Apr 16, 2006
  5. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

Harry - good mind reading ! It didn't occur to me that they could be from seed, firstly because I love deadheading and secondly you would think they would have the same leaves as the original plant, but of course the seed could have come from anywhere.
    Anyhow, they do appear to be separate plants so since they all seem to be happy, I'm going to wait and see.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Oriental poppy can be grown from root cuttings, if a piece of the plant got pulled away from the original crown it could sprout new leaves of its own--doesn't have to be a seedling.

7. westcoastgarden

westcoastgarden Active Member

I know all about oriental poppies growing from pieces of root. I have been trying to remove two large clumps for a couple of years now - I dig them up - by spring there are all kinds of new (and vigorous) plants in the same space. I was quite surprised, thinking they are fussy plants. Hah! Not!