can anyone name this pepper?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by redster, Mar 25, 2008.

1. redster

redster Active Member

this is a pepper plant my grandmother had quite a few years ago. it had a little smaller than a candy corn pepper that started yellow, ripened to red... this pepper is fairly hot, not something you would just eat fresh lol. i used to make hot sauce with this pepper but didnt know anything about saving seeds. after a few winters the plant died and i have never found it again. im looking to start a garden and was wondering if anyone can help me with this.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Did they go through a purple phase before they turned red? If they did, then they're Bolivian Rainbow Chilis, called Dientes de drago in Ecuador. If not, I'll bet they're related....

3. natureman

natureman Active Member

Hard to tell, but if there's no purple, it's not Bolivian Rainbow. There are hundreds of ornamental chilis, pretty hard to narrow it down without flower pics (although it's probably a C. annuum) and better pics of the pods and leaves.

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Most hot peppers grown are Capsicum annuum, but I wonder if maybe your grandma had a Tabasco pepper (Capsicum frutescens var. tabasco). I grew them once and really liked them.

5. redster

redster Active Member

there was absolutely no purple, hell there was barely an orange phase. plenty of hot sun down here in louisiana. since there was no purple i had kinda ruled out any ornamentals, but thats just my novice opinion.

the flowers were small and white, dont remember much else about them...

these definately arent tobasco either...i love tobasco sauce,(grew up 20 minutes from avery island) and these dont have any kinda flavor like that...im growing some tobasco peppers also, along with a few others to make my own hotter version of the sauce... thats part of the reason i wanted a name for these

i have one more pic im trying to load but my internet is lagging...not much better than the others though

6. natureman

natureman Active Member

Eh, I guess many mainsteam 'peppers' are in C. annuum , such as bells and jalapeno. But all the good ones ;) aren't, once you discover habaneros (C. chinense) and lemon drops (C. baccatum), and even rocotos (C. pubescens), you're hooked, greatly different (and imo, much better flavor).

As for the picture, I agree, it does look a bit like tabasco, but he commented that the flower were white, C. frutscens are usually greenish white.