berry identification?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by canned chicken, Sep 5, 2012.

1. canned chicken

canned chicken Member

Hi- Can anyone help me identify this berry? The berry in this pic looks like a salmonberry, but the leaves are clover-shaped with 5 lobes to the leaf and grouped ramdomly, instead of the salmonberry which are more jagged and grouped in 3s. This plant is also a prostrate mat-forming shrub, not as upright as a salmonberry. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Similar to Cloudberry Rubus chamaemorus, but a close relative, rather than exactly that species.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes, and Rubus pentalobus is now R. rolfei, so Rubus rolfei 'Formosan Carpet'. Grown more as an ornamental, but the berries are delicious.

5. Ron B

In which case the specific naming sequence would now be calycinoides > pentalobus > hayata-koidzumii > rolfei!

All within comparatively recent years.

6. Ron B

Today it was pointed out to me that Rubus fockeanus has also been listed as a synonym for this species.

7. canned chicken

canned chicken Member

Thanks! That definitely looks like a + ID. It's being used as ground cover on a hillside near my house. Is it edible? Sounds like at least one you you guys like the taste, but this website says it's not edible: http://www.learn2grow.com/plants/rubus-calycinoides-formosan-carpet/. I've been taking a berry or two on my way home and I seem OK. It's definitely delicious! Thanks,

8. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Here's a sign on a planting at an apartment building several blocks away from me. It's using the first name Ron gives, in posting #5, and indicates that the plant was obtained from UBCBG. The words "Edible Berry Crop" are only partly obscured. The building caretaker encouraged me to enjoy the berries.