beautiful monkey tree dying

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by vikkidawn, Oct 3, 2007.

1. vikkidawn

vikkidawn Member

our beautiful monkey tree is dying. the branches from the trunk upwards are turning brown and there is yellow sticky sap also. what can i do to save the tree. if you could help it would be most grateful. thankyou x

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

It is normal for the lower branches to die and drop off, that's nothing to worry about. The time to worry is if the top of the tree turns brown.

Can you post a photo?

3. Joyce Fuller

Joyce Fuller Member

There was a similar cry for help on the local radio phone in gardening program today. The caller said that the monkey puzzle had just produced fir cones for the first time and now it seemed to be dying, what could she do, and was it anything to do with it having just had the cones? The gardening expert did not know the answer and asked if anyone listening in knew. I would be pleased to hear your opinion on this.

4. Michael F

Aside from the obvious 'ooops!' (a monkey puzzle producing fir cones would be like a cow giving birth to puppies . . . a monkey puzzle produces monkey puzzle cones ;-) for the tree to produce cones, it has to be in fairly good health with good reserves of nutrients. I'd be surprised if it was dying.

5. Michael F

Here's what the cones look like; male (pollen) cones left, female (seed) cones right

Attached Files:

6. vikkidawn

vikkidawn Member

my monkey puzzle hasn't produced cones since i moved to my house 6years ago so therefore cant be healthy at all. its turning brown and has sticky sap. its feeling very sorry for its self. i really haven't got a clue what to do, its so beautiful aswell.

7. Michael F

A photo would help. Is it turning brown all over, or just the lower branches?