attaching photos from a smart phone?

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by wcutler, Nov 10, 2011.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Has anyone attached photos to a posting from an Android phone? Clicking the choose file button doesn't do anything. If it's possible, where do I find the photos? Or would there have to be an app to do that kind of thing?

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I always thought that to deal with photos from smartphone to attachment you needed to put them somewhere like Photobucket first.....

3. wcutler

It seems that flickr does not allow links to its photos to be used this way:
    I tried Picasaweb, but was unable to get a link to the photo from the phone, which detects the mobile source and doesn't make the photo itself available, though I was able to do it from my desktop.

I've now gotten a Photobucket account and did get that to work. So that's why people use Photobucket. Why would flickr and Picasaweb drive people to Photobucket?! Maybe I'm missing something.

4. wcutler

Here is a photo uploaded from Photobucket. In Photobucket, when you click on a photo and press the Do More button, you can view the links and select the direct link to paste into the Url line here. Pretty easy, actually, and so far impossible from elsewhere.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  5. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

I don't own a smart phone or even a cell phone, but I understand that you can download photos from any smart phone to your PC or Apple computer. Once you've done that, the photos can be uploaded to a post in the usual manner.

6. wcutler

True. I'm investigating for situations when people either are away from their computer and have no access to a laptop or other computer, or when they exclusively use their phone for their computing, as some article I just read said I should be able to do soon, when all storage will be out there on the cloud and my phone will be able to do everything.

For me, it's going to need a better phone camera for sure. Or a way to upload real camera photos to the phone, which I'm investigating now.

I'm hoping to not take my laptop on my next holiday. I was really hoping not to need a separate camera too, but I'm a device or two too soon for that.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  7. wcutler

Now I have discovered from talk in the Android forums that the Opera Mini browser does provide for uploading files. So on a mobile device, you can click the Browse button and navigate to a photo just like on a desktop. I can't figure out how to type in the reply area while the upload is happening. I'm not even sure I would figure that out in an app.

I mentioned looking for a way to upload real camera photos to the phone. If your phone uses a micro SD card and your camera uses an SD card, you can use a micro SD card in an adaptor in the camera, then insert that card with your photos into the phone. I was very excited when someone told me that last night. I don't think I'd ever have thought of it, even though I have an extra micro SD card and the adaptor that came with it.