Aroid? Lily?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by ashphaltandshade, May 23, 2009.

1. ashphaltandshade

ashphaltandshade Active Member

Hi! This first plant, someone had dumped it out of its pot onto the compost pile when it was still alive! So, I rescued it, but I would like to know what it is. I thought maybe it was something in the Aroideae subfamily? The second plant: last fall, there were plants that looked like leeks sitting outside someone's house with a sign that said "Free - lilies", so I took a few and stuck 'em in my yard. Now they have flowered and this is what they look like. Please, are they lilies, and, if so, what kind?

Attached Files:

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

#1 looks like a horribly neglected Dieffenbachia: #2/3 is an Iris.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Iris germanica.

4. ashphaltandshade

ashphaltandshade Active Member

I thought the first plant looked sort of like a dieffenbachia (though with longer, skinnier stems that hang down, and tiny little leaves), that's why I thought it was another kind of aroid. This can really happen to a dieffenbachia? Why kind of neglect must it have been subjected to? Maybe so little light that it was stretching to reach some? I also thought the flowers looked like irises, but the corms didn't look like ginger, like these other plants I had that I was told were irises, but which got stolen before I could plant them. (I love livin' in the city!) Thank you all very much!

5. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Yes, sadly...Dieffenbachia abuse can and does happen. Yours has been subjected to overcrowding and light starvation. (Perhaps waterboarding, as well.) Lucky plant, though---you may just have intervened in time! If this were my plant I'd take cuttings and begin anew. Good luck to you and the D.! Let us know how it goes.