Any Solidago experts out there?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by nitrogeninthesoil, Jun 4, 2021.

1. nitrogeninthesoil

nitrogeninthesoil Active Member 10 Years

Hi,

I know Solidago is a tricky genus but this species has some unusual characteristics...all I could come up with was S. gigantea....is it this one?

Plants have strongly recurved stems, glaucous beautiful purple stems even prettier in shaded specimens. Found in western NC mtns....seems to prefer a bit of shade but can survive in sun. Generally a clumping species...doesn't spread like S. altissimum and is not that tall...I'd say average about 3-4 ft.

Attached Files:

• sol1.JPG
      sol1.JPG
      File size:
      416.5 KB
      Views:
    • sol2.JPG
      sol2.JPG
      File size:
      117.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

3. nitrogeninthesoil

Thank-you for suggestion but I should have included this info in post:

A month or so off flowering but can eliminate some species that I have also...it is not S. caesia or S. flexicaulis (I am in woodland and these grow here but as a comparison...this unknown is a little taller/more robust than the S. caesia or S. flexicaulis but nothing like S. altissimum or S. rugosa.) I bought S. arguta and S. curtisii to compare. I have S. odora, S. altissimum, S. rugosa and S. juncea....it is not S. canadensis nor is it S. ulmifolia. Yes I am in the land of Solidago :)

...and not S. speciosa (have that one too)

Just want to add that if anyone has knowledge of Solidago gigantea and can tell me if this is or is not S. gigantea then this info to me is almost as important as identifying it because S. gigantea was my last guess!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
  4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I am separated from the resource I would normally use for this (Gleason and Cronquist's Manual with its accompanying illustrations) for at least another month. Maybe search by region on iNaturalist?

5. nitrogeninthesoil

Thank-you Daniel. I was able to see a few more examples of S. gigantea. I believe it is S. gigantea but the hooked/curved stem which seems to be a standard feature in my "population" seems to be largely absent in the pics I was looking at. In some of the pics the inflorescence is curved but the stems are straight/unhooked. I will add pics of it when it flowers. I see there are a couple of varieties within the species but these seem to be more based on leaf width, nothing mentioned about stem.

Daniel Mosquin likes this.