A salix and a vine

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Eyerah, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Eyerah

Eyerah Active Member

A couple more specimens that I could use help with. Collected from moist Ash woods on islands in Lake of the Woods ( N. Minnesota, W. Ontario, E. Manitobat Etc).

The salix keys to salix humilis, but many of the characters are off. I am using Chadde's Minnesota Flora. As is the case with other keys in this book, I have not been happy with the salix key. There are many errors, and there are not very many species described. I am not left with a lot of confidence in my diagnoses from this reference. Can anyone recommend a salix key for this part of the continent?

The second image is of a vine that I am seeing everywhere. Most specimens are young adventitious growth, so I can't tell if it is woody, though I suspect it is. Does anyone have any guesses what it might be?

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

For the vine, perhaps Celastrus scandens?

3. Eyerah

Eyerah Active Member

I don't think that it is Celastrus scandens. The rest of the Celastrus that I am seeing is already in flower. I am going to keep an eye on this one and see when it flowers, and I will post back here when (if) I find out what it is.

Cheers!!