a perennial weed/wildflower called?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Cherish, May 8, 2008.

1. Cherish

Cherish Member

Last summer this plant showed up in my garden and developed into a mound of leaves coming out from the ground (no stalk) but this spring it has started out by growing these 3' stalks with white flowers. The flowers just started opening this week but most of the stalks have already been beaten down by the rains. Normally I pull things out that just 'show up', really, but I guess I took a fancy to this one. Now I'm trying to determine if I fancy it in the compost pile instead. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. abgardeneer

abgardeneer Active Member

Looks like garlic mustard, Alliaria petiolata.

3. Cherish

Cherish Member

Ah, from http://www.invasive.org/browse/subject.cfm?sub=3005 it says, "First-year plants are basal rosettes with green heart-shaped leaves (1-6 inches tall). Second-year plants produce a 1-4 foot tall flowering stalk with small, white flowers.", and that has indeed been its behavior. As the rosette it was kind of nice looking, I thought. Good to know before the seeds start spreading that it has to go. Thanks.

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

That'd be the best place for most of it, but you might also want to try the tender young leaves in a salad bowl. It's edible, and if you like the garlic flavour, quite nice.

5. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

Bill or George or John.........anything but Sue!!!

Agree with garlic mustard, Alliaria petiolata.

Its a weed indeed but edible too!!