A guava?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by gfixler, Mar 16, 2010.

1. gfixler

gfixler Active Member

I believe this is a guava tree, though I can't find any online with leaves turning red like this. This is in west LA, and the pics are from March 2. I've found a wide variety of kinds of guava online, but haven't really found anything that seems exactly like this. I'd like to be sure it is a guava, and safe, before I cut one of the fruits open and have a bite. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Resembles Psidium guajava. Cut a fruit in half to see if it fits the bill.

Since, particularly if hoping to gather a number of them you should do this with permission of the property owner, maybe when talking to someone about the tree you can have your identification confirmed.

3. gfixler

gfixler Active Member

Thanks, Ron. It does look like it. I didn't want a whole harvest - just wanted to try one - but it looks like I missed out for now. I took a stroll back past that tree today and found all of the larger fruit was gone. Someone already harvested. There are many small ones - grape-sized - left, so perhaps I'll happen by during their next harvest and score a sample. Thanks again!

4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Definitely a Guava; looks like the ornamental/edible cultivar called 'Lluvia de Sangre' here.