What plant is this.

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Mysticmoer, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Mysticmoer

Mysticmoer Member

Hi All.

Would like to know what plant this is please.

Thanks
    Paul

Attached Files:

2. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

What an interesting looking plant. I'm afraid I need a bit more information to nail down an identification, though. In many cases, plants are most easily identified when reproductive structures (flowers and fruit) are also known. However, some people are very good at recognizing plants from vegetative material only. This is sometimes a challenge, though, particularly if the plant is not common in the identifier's area.

For example, it would be helpful to know where you took the photograph, at what time of year and under what conditions the plant had been growing. Was the plant grown from seed? a cutting? and root sucker? Do you know the parent tree? How old is the plant? Is it a deciduous plant?

With a bit more information, I'm keen to guess.

3. Mysticmoer

Mysticmoer Member

More info on this plant.

Hi.

I live in South Africa about 120 miles from the east coast. We have a hot climate with tempretures ranging from high 20's to mig 30's. That is in degrees celsius. Humidity is not very high. I found this plant when I moved into my house. It was lying in a small pot under some other trees. At that stage it was about 2 inches high. It did not have any leaves on it and was not very healthy. That was 3 years ago. I replanted it into a 8 inch pot and since that it has grown to a height of about 12 inches. It is not a deciduous plant at all. It enjoys full sun and does not need a lot of water. At this stage we have not seen any flowers or fruit at all. The photos was taken now at the start of our summer period. I have taken some more pics to aid in the identification of this plant

Any help would be appreciated as this is a nice plant.

Thanks
    Paul

Attached Files: