References to commercial nurseries allowed?

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by janetdoyle, Nov 18, 2009.

1. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    Daniel asked me to transfer a question emailed to him by me while he was away regarding commercial sources for rhododendrons and whether or not it was allowed to mention particular commercial nurseries in forum discussions. He would like this discussion out here for all to read, regarding this matter of mentioning specific commercial sources.

My original question via email to Daniel was:

I have a question regarding Forum rules regarding references to commercial nurseries and quoting URLs for them in forum discussions -- is this permitted, or not? I had the vague impression it wasn't, but when I checked the Charter it seems ok under some circumstances. Check the discussion I am involved in re Rhododendron 'Milton' in the rhododendron discussions in that general forum which includes heaths, heathers and rhodos [and why isn't there a specific forum for rhododendrons? That puzzles me -- you'd think there would be tremendous interest -- is it because there is a more professional forum on them somewhere else like a rhododendron society webpage?]

The series of questions and answers back and forth is in the Forum "Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)" in the threads regarding Rhododendron 'Milton' and 'Nancy Evans'...

sorry if I have broken any rules...

2. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

When I am looking for a source for plants. any useful answer would have to name a specific company. But I fear that allowing too much of that sort of thing could be problematic. I suspect that, human nature being what it is, many commercial entities could and eventually would plant disguised advertisements for themselves. If you've ever dealt with one of the many companies that promise to move you up in a google ranking you will have an idea of what people will do. So me, I'll receive any commercial references in response to one of my messages via a p.m.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

In general, if it is in response to someone looking for a source for something, it is ok -- even if it is someone promoting their own company. However, starting a new thread to promote something, or offering to sell something when no one in the thread has yet expressed an interest in procuring, is not.

I don't think this has been formalized in the charter yet, though several bits of it touch on the issue in intent...

Also, there are exceptions in the Links and Resources pages -- but those are all accompanied by "buyer beware" warnings.