Persicaria capitata

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by brookstormr, Nov 13, 2003.

1. brookstormr

brookstormr Member

Please help me identify this plant

Does anybody recognize this plant? I think it could be a gorgeous groundcover but I'd like to know what it is to make sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Would you happen to have a larger image?

3. brookstormr

brookstormr Member

This is the largest pic I have. Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Looks like Malabar Spinach. I cant remember the botanical name but I had one this year given to me by Brian Minter. Does gret in sun, likes wel drained soil. Very edible, tart, crunchy and a bit of zip when raw, haven't tried it cooked, maybe next year. takes support well to about 5 feet or so by my experience.

5. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

I'm not so sure about Malabar spinach. See this link for an image to compare. It looks more like a Persicaria (Polygonum) species to me; however, some scale would be helpful for an identification. For example, what is the shape and size of the leaves and the height of the flower stalk?

I am leaning toward Persicaria capitata (Polygonum capitatum). See this link to a Japanese website to compare. This is an herbaceous perennial species (USDA Zone 8) that seeds itself attractively into the cracks on my patio.

6. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Fair enough Douglas. Maybe a clarifying factor would be the undessicated leaf thickness, Malabar is quite thick and waxy. I can't quite make out the leaf arrangement on the sample pic however on the link for Malabar it is obviously alternate arrangement, perhaps the original poster can help out with more facts?

7. brookstormr

brookstormr Member

Thank you!

You are all totally awesome...The minute I saw the pic of Persicaria capitata (Polygonum capitatum) I knew you had nailed it - hands down.

Can't thank you enough for all your help!