Oxalis identification

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Unregistered, Sep 19, 2004.

1. There are plants in native section of the shop-in-the-garden labeled as "Oxalis oregana (Queen Charlotte strain)" that suspiciously resemble Oxalis acetosella 'Rosea', a cultivar of a common Europeen species. When I enquired to the staff about the provenance of these plants, I was told they were grown from divisions salvaged from a woman's garden who had recently passed away. Apparently, someone had claimed that they had originated from the population on the Charlottes. I am somewhat skeptical of this claim.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any reliable characters that could help me distinguish between O. oregana and O. acetosella or point me to a key for the genus Oxalis so that I can make this determination myself?

Thanks.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Sorry for the very late reply on this.

From the European Garden Flora key to Oxalis:

5a. Plant to 20cm, robust: leaflets 2.5 x 2.7cm or more; flowers pale lilac or darker, rarely white... Oxalis oregana

5b. Plant less than 12cm, slender; leaflets less than 1.5 x 2 cm; flowers white, with pale pink veins, occasionally pink... Oxalis acetosella