NY state Can't find a reference so...

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by rokosz, Jul 22, 2018.

1. rokosz

rokosz Member

The plant is very prolific growing in hugh swaths along the Taconic Parkway -- right up to the curb.
    The picture is of the flower/plant in a bucket. Flowers are not large (< 1")
    Soil tolerance must be extremely high -- hard/rocky. Blooms appear in June (zone 6 and north) and are fairly long-lived (weeks)
    Apparently very drought tolerant but can withstand road run-off flooding.

Will grow in mowed areas -- and flowers at (highway) mowing height (3-5"). Left alone, I'm pretty sure I've seen them grow to at least 2 feet if not more.

Any ideas? It so tolerant and low maintenance I've got so much use for it... But it doesn't seem to transplant well =--perhaps because the roots rip too easily when removed from hardpan soil.

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

3. rokosz

rokosz Member

sorry! thanks for any help. I was confused by the attachment process and didn't have a chance to sign-off and thank.

Wow, that entry really checks a lot of boxes! Comparison of the flowers' shapes seems a little dodgy (esp. the orange/red). This puppy does bear researching. I'm hoping its not on NY's invasive species list:New York Invasive Species Information – New York State's integrated invasive species databases and information clearinghouse
    Thank you very much for the lead.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2018
  4. rokosz

rokosz Member

5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Good thing it doesn't transplant well, then.

6. rokosz

rokosz Member

yeah, dodged a bullet. I've spent the last number of years (attempting) eradicating Stiltgrass from my prop. Great success, but that last 1-2 %...