It's beautiful, whatever it is...

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Wrecked, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Wrecked

Wrecked New Member

Can someone please edumicate me as to what the pictured plant is?

Rf9gjcP.jpg

and
    uEOSjEw.jpg

It is growing prolifically near the 100 Mile House area (~4000 ft alt) and has all but taken over half of a friend's pasturing paddocks. Needless to say he wants shut of it... I am inclined to use glyphosate but suggestions are very welcome. Again these were actively grazed paddocks but are out of service until this plant is controlled or eradicated. It has been a very hot, dry and kinda wildfire-ish summer around these parts this year but this plant has clearly been in residence for some time by the look of it.

Many thanks.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

This resembles Astragalus cicer - Wikipedia --if that's the case, then no work is necessary as it is a non-bloat forage crop with good protein value. See: https://plants.usda.gov/plantguide/pdf/pg_asci4.pdf

That's a tentative ID -- with members of the Fabaceae, I'd want to be certain before introducing livestock. Are there any photos from when it was blooming, or a verbal description of the flowering heads?

3. Wrecked

Wrecked New Member

Thanks Daniel. I will ask about the flowers and post back. It is very much choking out the grass right now (such as it is!) but I suspect it might not do so well with more rain. It has been exceptionally dry this year in these here parts.

4. Wrecked

Wrecked New Member

Yes, I just chatted with the property owner and the flowers were pale and creamy in colour. Looking at the pics and literature you linked it is definitely Milkvetch. I will explain it is a good thing. I actually heaved a bunch of it up quite easily but there is so much it would take a lot to thin it down. I suppose mowing might help control it?

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'm a least-effort kind of person...let the animals do it for you! But sure, mowing would work.

6. Wrecked

Wrecked New Member

Sorry for the delay... I agree, but the animals won't eat it apparently. Fussy horses. A couple goats would make quick work of it but a mower will do once the risk of sparks and fire subsides a bit. Once the rains return the grasses should re-establish their dominance and all shall be well again. I am told this is the first time they have noticed the Milkvetch but I have no doubt it's been there all along.