Identify Plant

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Sheryl, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Sheryl

Sheryl Member

Please help me identify this plant. It is growing in my back yard in upstate N.Y. It has grape-like clusters of small purple berries.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2003
  2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

This is Phytolacca americana, which was also tentatively identified based on a description in this thread. Please see that thread for links and extra information.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

A followup question was asked from someone else about this plant via email about whether it was poisonous or not, and the answer is highly poisonous, possibly fatally so.

Again, the excellent "Poisonous Plants of North Carolina": Phytolacca americana

The email also asked about transplanting it in the fall. From what I've read, it wouldn't seem to be a problem to transplant it, which is probably to be expected given its invasive behaviour in some parts of the world.

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

This plant is a very familiar one to most people who grew up in rural areas in the eastern US. We played with the ripe berries as children. The juice makes a wonderful purple dye. I would have referred to it as poke weed. Poor country folk did at times eat the young shoots, as in Poke Salad Annie, but I would not recommend it. It is quite toxic. I always allowed the plant to grow in my flower beds when it appeared. I think it is a most beautiful weed.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2003