Help me identify my beautiful flowering tree

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Unregistered, Jun 21, 2004.

1. I have a gorgeous tree/shrub growing on the camp where I am living that no one can seem to identify. It is over 15 feet tall, but I believe is over 85 years old as it looks like it may have been cultivated at one time, and was probably here before the camp bought the property back in 1923. It is decidious has narrow green leaves on opposite sides of the branch and sprigs of beautiful white flowers that look like they are doubled or possibly even tripled. There is a very faint perfume that I cannot identify and it bears very small (.5 to1cm) round seed pods. It flowers in early to mid June although we are a little later than most areas. (Gambier Island BC). The cultured looking one looks almost like a waterfall as the make trunks come straight up and then the leaves and brancher arch over into sort of a mushroom shape. This tree/shrub has reseeded itself on the property and seems to thrive despite the deer population. It is also a favorite of butterflies but is definatley not a budlea.

2. Beautiful Flowering Tree

Except for the "narrow" leaves, sounds like Philadelphus lewisii. Normally has single flowers, but not always - a few double cultivars exist. And it's also possible, I suppose, that you are asking about a garden hybrid, such as P. virginalis, and seeing similar P. lewisii growing wild nearby.

3. Hey,

I also have a plant that i need identified. I won this seedling at a botany seminar last week, and no one seemed to know what it was. It is about 18" tall, has 1.25x.50 inch oval-shaped leaves, and the branches coming off the stems are red, the stem being brown. This is fairly vague information, so anything you guys can give me would be appreciated, or any info on alternative ways to identify.

Thanks,
    James

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hey James and other guests, it is difficult to identify plants without precise descriptions. Photos help a lot as well. The Forums do not allow attachments from unregistered guests. You may wish to take a moment to join the Forums, then you could post an image to go with your descriptions.

Good luck with your plants.