Can anyone tell me what kind of tree this is?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Jenn944, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Jenn944

Jenn944 Member

I just moved into my house less than a year ago and this tree was already planted here. I thought maybe it was of the cherry variety but the berries are to small to be cherries, I think, but then I have no idea. I've attached 2 pictures of this tree to this post, one of it as a whole and then one of the leaves/berries that can be seen a little closer. Approximately 2 months ago it had pink blossoms on it, but they didn't last long as we had a few days with strong winds that helped all the petals fly away. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!
    Jenn

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Weeping cherry. Yes, they are cherries, and you can eat them, though they might be a little bitter (better for cherry pie than eating fresh)

3. Jenn944

Jenn944 Member

Oh good, on the being edible part as there are several small children around here and I didn't want to worry if anyone was sneaking berries or what not.
    I just did a little search engine hopping and am dismayed to read that their full grown size is much larger than what I've got out there now, especially since it's in a corner right next to my house. There aren't by chance any dwarf versions of this are there? I can't imagine anyone planting a tree that has the ability to get so large so close to a house, but then who knows what anyone thinks. I guess I'm going to have to make plans to uproot it and hope I don't kill it for a transplant elsewhere, any tips?
    Thanks again!
    Jenn

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

The size it gets is determined mainly by how high the graft is (where the upright stem joins the weeping branches), so yours won't get a lot taller, though it will get somewhat wider. I'd think it should be alright where it is.

5. Jenn944

Jenn944 Member

Oh ok, whew, that's a relief to read! I didn't want to go through trying to transplant a tree, although my m-i-l may be upset now she won't get a cherry tree to add to her yard hehe

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Looks like Snow Fountains ('Snofozam'). It has comparatively short, prominently toothed leaves, fruits readily and is commonly sold. 12'-15' often given as representative mature height and spread. However, some stock may perhaps be grafted on dwarfing rootstock 'Gisela'.

7. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Keep in mind you can prune it to grow/not grow the way you want it to. Although it nay not grow too many branches in the direction of the house anyway.

8. Jenn944

Jenn944 Member

I'm so glad I stumbled on this forum, you all are so insightful...many thanks to you...my tree thanks you too :o)