zucchini

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by bigwaverider, Nov 21, 2009.

1. bigwaverider

bigwaverider Member

got seeds that say bred for trop. conditions i live in the philippines . the zucchini grows well but the fruit rots at about 2 inches. whats wrong? i live at elevation of about 30 meters. help someone please

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Check for pests - I had this same problem, and it was beetles inside the fruit that was causing it to rot. I had great luck training the vines up a trellis so that the fruit hangs down; this kept the beetles out of the flowers and the fruit matured properly.

3. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

In the U.K. it is called blossom end rot. Courgettes and Zucchini are the same thing.
    My understanding is that it normally happens when the plants first start to flower, and there are only female flowers produced. It is only when there are both male and female flowers that pollination can take place. If it has not been fertilised then the small female courgettes start to rot starting with the flower end.
    This may not be what is happening with your plant. But may be worth checking.

See this site for pics of male and female flowers.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...n-gb:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7SUNA_en-GB&sa=N&um=1

There is a lot on www about blossom end rot See....

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...+end+rot+courgettes&btnG=Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

4. bigwaverider

bigwaverider Member

thanks again

they flower then the fruit rots at the flower when its 3 inches long. how do i get males?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2009
  5. Silver surfer

6. bigwaverider

bigwaverider Member

ok i will wait longer so your saying that they are hermaphrodite? and i need to wait a long time? the plants were huge and many small rotting fruits. so i should keep waiting and get rid of the rotty ones till the male flowers come out? gee i waiting so long but never saw a male yet. then i pulled them out and composted. so i should try again weed out the rot and wait? thanks

7. Silver surfer

Yes. Male and female on the same plant.
    Always remove any rotting fruits.

This is very odd. You shouldn't have to wait that long to get both sex flowers. If the plant is huge, could you be missing the male flowers under the leaves.

this link shows the ideal size to harvest them.Good luck!

http://www.allbritishfood.com/Courgette/images/baby-courgette-with-flower.jpg

8. Silver surfer

In Britain it is common for the plants to be planted on top of a well rotted heap of compost. Make sure it has plenty of water.

I have copied this advice from www. see site below

Soil and Site
    Courgettes (zucchini) grow extremely well on compost heaps as long as the heap is kept moist. This gives a good clue as to the conditions they prefer when they grown in the open ground. The soil should be well dug and well-drained but also able to be kept moist. The soil should be rich in nutrients, more so than most other vegetables. Having said that, courgettes will grow on most soils.

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/courgette_zucchini_1.asp