Identification: Zelkova or chinese elm?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Shohin, May 7, 2005.

  1. Shohin

    Shohin Member

    Messages:
    28
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Romania
    This tree is in serious trouble. Yet, first it has to be identified correctly. I thought it was a chinese elm (Ulmus Parvifolia), but now i am not sure anymore. It might be a Zelkova serrata. Can anyone help?
     

    Attached Files:

    • id1.jpg
      id1.jpg
      File size:
      433.6 KB
      Views:
      1,587
    • id2.jpg
      id2.jpg
      File size:
      476.2 KB
      Views:
      1,431
  2. Andre

    Andre Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

    Messages:
    452
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Bordeaux, France
    I would say this is an Ulmus parvifolia which has not enough light so it makes bigger leaves.

    Anyway both Zelkova and Chine elm has the same needs so I would just put it outside with as much light as possible (but not full sun) and let it recover.
     
  3. Shohin

    Shohin Member

    Messages:
    28
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Romania
    Andre, it's nice for u to answer. I know there's not much difference between Zelkova and chinese elm: both are elms. Yet, there is a slight difference in wintering these trees, because while Zelkova is hardy in temperate climate and may be kept outdoor throughout the winter, the chinese elm is not that "tough". The tree u are viewing belongs to someone who received it as an indoor bonsai. I recommended her exactly the same thing as u, plus to be pulled out from the water pot where it has been soaking for two months! Yet, I need to find out what kind of elm it is. Thanx again, uve helped me before and I'm so grateful.
    So, guys, the question stays - Zelkova or Ulmus parvifolia?
     
  4. Andre

    Andre Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

    Messages:
    452
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Bordeaux, France
    Well, my answer is Ulmus parvifolia which is hardy up to -7° C but you're right you have to repot it as soon as possible in a good soil.
    Mine has spent a week under the snow this winter and he's doing great now.
     

    Attached Files:

  5. Chris Klapwijk

    Chris Klapwijk Active Member 10 Years

    Messages:
    266
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Surrey, B.C., Canada
    I agree with Andre. Although I'm not familiar with Ulmus parvifolia, it's probably not Zelkova serrata.
     

    Attached Files:

  6. Shohin

    Shohin Member

    Messages:
    28
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Romania
    I have to agree with you guys. First I was absolutely sure that it was indeed a chinese elm. Then, I came across some Zelkova pictures that seemed to me very similar with what I was staring at (I mean the chinese elm pictures), and this threw me into the misery of incertitude. Now the sun of knowledge is shining again - at least 99%, the remaining 1% doubt is put away for Descartes's sake. Thanks, u've been of much help.
    Shohin
     

Share This Page