yucca trees in a container

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by tsf12, Nov 6, 2004.

1. tsf12

tsf12 Member

i have a yucca tree in a container and need to know what to use for fertilizer and why the ends of the leaves are black?

2. bearpaw57

bearpaw57 Member

Yucca Tree

I have a Yucca tree from California, (I live in Michigan) and I transplanted it into a clay pot with black dirt. This is the Yucca tree with long sharp leaves. Anyways My ends are turning brown and then the entire leaves turn brown also. What do I need to do to stop this from happening? Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank You.

3. It could be many things but personaly I think it is the soil you are using, yuccas like well drained soil. I would mix your soil with some sand and pebbles to help it drain better and on the bottom of the pot lay a good inch of pebbles and make sure the pot has a hole for drainage. Since you are using black soil it should have more than enough nutrients so you shouldn't have to worry about fertilizing for a year or so. Make sure you have it in a very sunny place and when it comes to watering in the winter months water very sparcly just enought to keep the leaves from wilting and in the spring water more heavily wait until the soil becomes slightly dry then water again and for summer and fall water then wait for the soil to become quite dry before watering again, a big problem is watering too much too frequently. Hope this solves your problem.

4. I forgot, also, when transplanting or moving into a new pot it is natural for a yucca to loose half to two thirds of its leaves, but if you follow my instructions and wait it out it will fully recover