Yucca Tree? YACA? What's the real name? Help!

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by DarioQ, Aug 9, 2013.

1. DarioQ

DarioQ New Member

I have this Yucca or Yacca Tree plant that I love. Have them all over the place.

Lately they have been getting all brown spots, specially on the lower leaves. Some are getting yellowish, discolored towards the center. What could be causing this symptoms? How Can I stop it. I have then all over my yard and I am afraid that all will get ruined.

Wish people knew how easy it is to reproduce these beautiful plant...

Thank you for your help

Attached Files:

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Kind of looks like scale, but I can't see that clearly from the photo. Can you scrape a kind of a scale off where the spots are or is it more like a spot that is part of the leaf? If the first, check out scale insect and if the other possibly a fungal disease.

3. DarioQ

DarioQ New Member

The spots are almost like a burn spot. In some cases there is a hole where the spot is.
    If you enlarge the picture you can see the pot through some of the burned like holes. What's intriguing to me is the fact that this is happening to a few of them but always towards the lower leaves, not the top ones.. (*_*)

If fungal, what can I use? As for the discolored one, any idea?

What is the real name for this plant?

Thank you so much for you help..

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Good that it is not scale. I of course cannot say for sure it is a fungus looking at a photo from here, but I read that there are a couple fungal disease that can make spots like that, still might be something else. You might want to contact your local university or government extension service or a local garden or good nursery, because they will have a better idea about yuccas and diseases in your area. There are forum members from your area, they might comment here.

It's a Yucca, I don't know what kind.

5. DarioQ

DarioQ New Member

I just have no idea what to use.. Any recommendations?