Yucca rostrata question

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by soniabramley, Feb 25, 2014.

1. soniabramley

soniabramley New Member

Hi, Can anyone help? I have a Yucca rostrata which is roughly 3 metres in total, we have just returned from holiday to find the head has snapped off completely in the winds, is it possible to replant the head? or will the trunk re grow from where it has snapped off? do I need to plant it in anything special? see pics below...
    thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/32227/ Branching usually occurs at the flower stalk, so that leaves re-rooting the head. I'd remove the dead leaves, let the wound callus and replant in a gritty potting mix. Since they only grow in warm weather let it stay unpotted til warm weather returns.

3. soniabramley

soniabramley New Member

Thanks, we have been advised today at our local garden centre to saw 2 inches off the bottom of the head and repot, which is what we have done? will that be ok?? or should we take out of the pot? we have left the trunk as shown in photo, is that likely to recover and re grow a head??
    Sorry for so many question as we are novice gardeners.
    Thanks again.

4. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

I doubt it's had time to callus the wound so you risk rotting the stem if you place it in a pot at this time.
    If it stays potted make sure there is grit in the mix to help prevent rot in your cold rainy climate.
    There's a chance the original trunk will regrow as shown in my link.