Identification: You gotta help me id this palm

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Chester, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

Hi: I wrote yesterday about some small palms that I bought. The retailer said they were Lady palms, the plant store said they were Areca palms. They don't look exactly like all of the picture I've called up of the Arecas. They are young plants, and maybe that has something to do with it. Anyway, they have typical reedlike stems, with 2 distinct, and fairly wide leaves at the end of the stems. Other than the 2 leaves, and being a nice pea green, there is not much to identify them. They came in 4-inch pots, and are fairly large plants (18 inches tall), for being 4-inchers. Of all the pictures I've looked at, they most resemble one photo I have of Howea fostereana, but other photos I have of Howea f. they do not resemble much at all. I guess I am probably splitting hairs here, but I do like to know exactly what I'm dealing with when it comes to the nuances of culture. Please help a newbie to palms.

2. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

Hi chester ..

it probably is a Areca Palm .. my best suggestion is just keep searching google for Palms till u see it .. and also look thru ebay ..houseplants .. that is one good place to look up what kind of plant u have .. i learned alot of names of them searching ebay ..

good luck and let us know what it is .. or if u get a pic ..

Marn