Yellowing of blue-leafed Hostas

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by MalcolmG, Jul 28, 2005.

1. MalcolmG

MalcolmG Member

I have a Hadspen Blue Hosta that has developed a yellowing all through the centre of the leaf for the past three summers. Since the plant has reappeared each spring, it’s obviously not a fatal condition, just unattractive. This year it’s also showing up in the other 'blue' varieties I have, in both my front and back yards. I’m wondering if it might be a lack of some nutrient or mineral or something. It has been suggested that it is perhaps lack of water or competition from roots (There's a mature cedar hedge beside my front garden and it has lots and lots of fine roots mingling with my nearby plants in the top few inches of soil and with larger roots below). However, that doesn't explain why it's happening in the backyard, or why it happened in last year’s wet summer. Any insight into this problem is appreciated.

2. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

Have you been feeding them at all? Sounds like you are lacking something in the soil, nitrogen perhaps.
    Carol Ja

3. MalcolmG

MalcolmG Member

I wondered feeding as well. But all the garden area has had 20 20 20 - and only the blue hostas have the problem. Other perennials are growing as normal (including several other different hostas in both back and front gardens).