Yellowhorn - Xanthoceras sorbifolium

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by pmurphy, Apr 15, 2015.

1. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

Does anyone have any experience with Yellowhorn?

I have a couple of young trees about 3ft tall and one has decided to flower this year.

I know they are uncommon - and therefore information is not easy to find - so I was wondering if in fact I do need a pollinator or are they self-fertile? - can I expect any fruit from it this year?

2. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

I'm growing a bunch if them (20 or so), and as you've probably discovered, they are slow to put on top growth--though one I dug up, a mere 8" tall, had finger thick roots extending 3 or 4 feet into the ground. Seems they spend their early years establishing extensive roots prior to top growth.

Most sources say self-fertile, but some say otherwise--I expect (as is usually the case with such conflicting claims) that they are moderately self-fertile, but will produce more with another pollinator.

The best article I've found on Yellowhorn is at http://tcpermaculture.com/site/2013/10/29/permaculture-plants-yellowhorn/ , it's a good summary of the available literature.

Is your's flowering profusely, or just a few blossoms? Still waiting for flowers from mine.

3. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

Thanks Woodschmoe,
    I've read the article but as you say, conflicting claims, but then that's why I bought two when I did.

As for my little trees, I'v had then for 2 years now and there are barely 3ft tall but well leafed out - but now that you mention it, they did not do much growing last spring so perhaps they were establishing their roots. Only one has started producing a cluster of blossoms - can't wait unitl it actually blooms - so I guess I just have to wait to see if it will produce fruit/nuts without a pollinator.

Let me know when your flowers.