Identification: Yellow mushrooms on tree trunk

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by David Wong, Nov 28, 2018.

1. David Wong

David Wong Active Member

Seen on Mayne Island. These small yellow mushrooms grow in the cracks of the tree bark. Bell shape, yellow with brownish dots. Unfortunately I do not know if they have gills or pores. Is it possible to place them in a genus?

Attached Files:

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi David - these are in genus Crepidotus: Cap features, size, habitat with help you get this to species.

3. David Wong

David Wong Active Member

Hi Frog,
    Thank you very much pointing me to the genus Crepidotus.
    From what I gathered, it looks like Crepidotus crocophyllus.
    David

4. Frog

Nice work on this David! It may be C. crocophyllus, another possibility is the very similar C. mollis. I don't think we can positively ID this one without info on the underside, possible also requiring more digging through keys as well.
    C. mollis is more common in our area, or at least it seems to be so: This genus does not appear to get a lot of love, so there are likely more Crepidoti than we think.

David Wong likes this.
  5. David Wong

David Wong Active Member

It was simple of me to decide on C. crocophyllus because of its appearance and the mention in one article that it is the most common species of Crepidotus in our continent. I didn't even know its spore colour and shape. It takes an experienced person to point out that C. mollis is actually more common in our area. Thanks Frog.

6. Frog

Thanks David - but do keep in mind the "seems to" as your ID could still be correct. FYI - I am told there are roughly 35 Crepidotus species in the PNW, but I notice most of them are much smaller.

7. David Wong

David Wong Active Member

Thanks for the follow-up.
    I read the article again; it was written in UK, and so the continent the author referred to is the European and not North American Continent.
    However, C. crocophyllus with its brownish colour is more attractive than the humdrum white of C. mollis.