Yellow leaves

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by mandiboothe, Aug 29, 2004.

1. mandiboothe

mandiboothe Member

Hi there,
    I have this plant, I am not sure what it is, it has large green leaves with a lighter green almost yellow centre. The small leaves at the bottom keep going yellow and dieing.. Is this because the big leaves are getting all the light and nutrients??
    Or and I doing something wrong?? All the big leaves are good and healthy and it is still growing new ones.. I am just wondering if it matters that the little leaves at the bottom are dieing???

Thanks again......

2. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

yellowing leaves

You did not state where this plant is growing. I do not know if it is in the garden or a houseplant. As a plant grows and matures the growth near soil level naturally slows and the physiological functions of leaves at lower levels on the main stem are often replaced by leaves higher up. In other words there is a natural senescence, followed by leaf drop.
    So a small amount of yellowing leaves is part of the natural process. In houseplants if a number of leaves yellow simultaneously and then fall overwatering is probably the cause, or possibly exposue to cold drafts.

3. mandiboothe

mandiboothe Member

Hi there,

it is an indoor plant and I think it is an elephant foot plant or something..
    there are now only 3 leaves left and they are looking good, but all the others looked like they were getting burnt. It is now sitting in my kitchen where there is more light but before it was sitting in my dinning room and I think there was not enough light.
    I do not think I over waterd it, but I guess it is possible that I did..
    I will try and take a good picture if that will help, but all the leaves that were dieing have been taken off.... I have never seen a leaf look burnt like that when it was not burnt..

Thanks for everything.

Mandi