Identification: yellow fuzzy balls fungus?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Brandondb, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Brandondb

Brandondb New Member

Hello,

This is my first post. I've seen other post talking about this particular fungus, but they all don't seem to have a definite conclusion of this fungus. It has shown up in two different plants in my house. Maybe someone can shed some light on what this fungus is specifically called.

The close-ups are 60x magnification.

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I was confused by the comments in that thread, but get it now. @Junglekeeper's link goes to a thread where the ID was Leucocoprinus birnbaumii. The comment about it being a "good idea to do this" refers to the thread having been set up and stickied to answer a common question. I am going to edit that posting to say that.

Now I'm just confused that the article on that species talks about little yellow mushrooms and shows things that look like mushrooms. The white stuff covering the soil here - do mushrooms appear from that? Or is it something else?

4. Brandondb

Brandondb New Member

I don't know if the small, yellowish, fuzzy balls are the precursor to the larger yellow mushrooms. That is why I posted this thread, knowing that threads containing images of this same fungi are present. All of those threads don't have consistent answers, nor identification that yields like images when conducting further research.

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Found a photo that suggest the balls are a precursor: leucocoprinus birnbaumii

The following is an interesting thread in an external forum of someone trying to grow these mushrooms to document their development. Unfortunately they were unsuccessful as the conditions for growth had changed. Maybe our local fungi aficionado @Frog would be willing to undertake such a project. It would certainly answer the many questions we get in these forums regarding this fungus.

Leucocoprinus birnbaumii? (As translated by Google)​

6. Brandondb

Brandondb New Member

That was a very helpful image. It helps confirm it more.

7. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Interesting ideas in this discussion - and thank you Junglekeeper for that link. I'm not ready to take this on as a project right now <grin> but if I did, aside from trying to encourage the wee balls to develop, I would be examining them under compound microscope, looking for any features characteristic of certain broad fungal groups (septa, clamps, conidial structures etc) While the yellow is suggestive, there are so many "mold" type fungi that if it did not develop into a fruiting body it would be challenging to ID.
    ... Except of course for Bryce Kendrick, he would know it right away I betcha.

8. Brandondb

Brandondb New Member

For the time being I'm letting them sit, especially if it in fact is not harmful to plant growth. The fungi seem smaller than than images generated for leucocoprinus birnbaumii, so we will see. Thanks for the input. I'll post any further developments.