Would like to know how

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by Marn, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

to get the seeds off of this plant .. the thistles .. and also what is the correct name for it ??..
    wasnt sure were to post this Q .. but i do know it is a perrenial .
    the reason i would like to know is the Swallowtail butterflies just loves these plants and they are a source of food for them.. and i dont think im gonna b at this house next yr so i would like to get some seeds and grwo some at my next place ..
    thanks for any help ..

Marn

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Teasle.

3. Joe Keller

Joe Keller Active Member 10 Years

The latin name for teasel is Dipsacus fullonum. I have not personally tried to collect the seeds but I would try letting the flower heads dry and them crush the heads and separate the seeds. Then keep them in the vegetable crisper portion of your refrigerator until it is time to sow. Good luck, Joe

4. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

We had them in our previous garden. They will sprout right out of the seed pod in the spring if you just leave them alone, so I think they should be fairly easy to start.

Ralph

5. Marn

thanks ya guys .. i know they will sprout out again .. i never planted them here and ive been here for 2 yrs .. i would just like to take some with me so il try the crushing of the heads ..
    thanks again

Marn

6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Wait until the seeds are mature (October). Then beat the seed heads gently on a sheet of paper to knock the seeds out. The seeds are cylindrical, about 5-6mm long and 1mm wide, with a longitudinally ridged surface.

It can become an invasive weed, so be careful, but they are also great for attracting goldfinches.

7. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

From what I read teasles, Dissacus spp. seem to be biennials, not sure if they all are. I found this historic photo of a teasle harvest.

8. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

They can be short-lived perennials (spending more than one year as a rosette), but as far as I know, they're always monocarpic (once they've flowered, they die)

Nice pic! Spot that they're wearing gloves . .

9. Marn

thanks for the pic Eric .. that was a kool one . and ya cant really handle them .. and now i know why the Swallowtail butterflies get so beat up from them . there poor wings just shredded ..and chunks taken out of there bodies ..but they keep comeing back for more .. lol..
    we get alot of Finches around here . I got a kool pic of a yellow male finch with a black head on a yellow and black sunflower plant .. it was a kool shot .. but a lil bright that day as the back ground was a white garage door .. so it really beightened up the whole pic .. but i read that they were hard to get a pic of but i was luck enough to sneak up on and get a pic of him ..
    i just love nature hunting .. (with my camera) ...lol

Marn