Wood ash question.

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Keith Elliott, May 6, 2021.

1. Keith Elliott

Keith Elliott Contributor

Is there any use for the wood ash that our small wood stove produces? It almost seems a waste to just throw it away. Seems to me that I may have read something awhile back about that. Thanks in advance. IMG_4492.JPG

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Ash from clean wood (free of chemicals) is a good source of potasium, especially for plants that like alkaline conditions. It has to be used judiciously; it can damage young plants. I use it on primarily on Brassicas.

Keith Elliott and Acerholic like this.
  3. Keith Elliott

Keith Elliott Contributor

Thank you for your reply. Fortunately, over the years, I have had the use of a wood stove as a primary source of heat. Not so much in the last 5 years, but prior to that when I lived on the coast for 17 years. Early on, I was advised NEVER to burn treated wood of any kind and that's what I have stuck to all these years. We don't get that much ash, because I have learned how to keep the ash production to a minimum by making sure we have a very hot burn periodically. However, we are trying to grow some Brassicas for the first time in ages, and that looks like where we can use some. Thank you again.