Winterizing Windmill Palm

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by DonR, Oct 22, 2012.

1. DonR

DonR Member

I have a 4 foot Windmill Palm planted approximately 6 feet from the south west corner of my house. I want to winterize it. I have burlap etc.... but want to make sure I do this the right way so it survives the winter. I've read a few threads here that talk about potted ones however could use some beginner instruction on how to do this properly. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Do these often freeze in Langley?

3. DonR

DonR Member

Temperature is the same as Seattle. It doesn't always freeze however the palm is just planted this year and I want to ensure I care for it properly over its first winter.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I'd mulch it and leave it at that. If you did decide you needed to shelter the top the first winter you would only do this during an Arctic front, and take it away during mild spells.

5. abbotsfordpalmman

abbotsfordpalmman Active Member

I live in abbotsford and have several growing. If you can find some old school christmas lights you can wrap those around the palm (really the most important part is the central growing spear). Keep your burlap on hand. make sure the palm is out of the dry winds from the east. If we get a prolonged deep freeze then just turn on the lights and tie up the fronds. This should work just fine. Otherwise, in an average winter you should not really have troubles.

6. DonR

DonR Member

abbotsfordpalmman - thanks for the response. Do I wrap the lights around the fronds as well as the trunk?

7. abbotsfordpalmman

abbotsfordpalmman Active Member

The only part to worry about is right at the top of the trunk where the new fronds emerge. I would turn the lights on at around -7/8 for a new palm and if you want to wrap up the fronds with your burlap. If you just wrapped the fronds in a cold snap and mulched the base you'd probably be fine too. They are tough palms! An established palm should handle -12C without much stress.

8. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

Here's what we do: Buy a roll of burlap. You usually require at least two people and alot of patience.

Start at the bottom and wrap the burlap around a couple of times, so the inside space is a bit smaller than what the fronds will be when you fold them upward later.

Some-how attach or tie the burlap togeather in this wound up way. Then slide it up to just below where the fronds begin.

Some-one has to hold every-thing in place and secure the burlap to the trunk of the palm.

Then it will take two people usually, to continue wrapping the burlap up higher , around and around the palm until you have extra at the top.

Wrap twine or rope over the burlap, around and around the upwardly bent fronds and secure every-thing.

It's frustrating to do this. The fronds want to hang outwards and don't want to be bent a bit upwards.

Then fold over the top of the burlap so no snow gets in.

Don't break the center frond ever. That will kill your palm.

This method keeps the snow from breaking the tree. If you're worried about freezing, some people add leaves or balls of newsprint within the burlap.

Hey, I've seen some people build a small green house around their windmill palms here, out of inexpensive wood with plastic stapled to it.

9. DonR

DonR Member

Thanks for that detailed explanation. I really appreciate it. I have the burlap and the string so will have fun with my wife completing it.

Thanks again.