winterizing plants

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by gypsy0871, Nov 25, 2006.

1. gypsy0871

gypsy0871 Member

I need help! I have planted dahlias (from bulbs), hostas, hibiscus(not sure what kind, bought in an unmarked container) and coleus. I also have 3 rose bushes and a smoke tree I would like info on how to protect for the winter. I believe the coleus wont return next year, but if I'm wrong, please let me know. I live in upstate New York.
    Thanks

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Are these plants still growing in containers? If so most
    won't likely survive the winter outdoors. If they are in
    the ground they should be fine except for the Dahlias.
    They should be dug and dried off, then the tops cut off
    and the tubers stored in peat/sawdust in a cool but not
    freezing area till May. Coleus may not be worth keeping
    indoors over Winter since they get leggy and are prone
    to insect infestations. Some Hibiscus are hardy but most
    aren't so that one will probably need to stay inside too.
    HTH
    Chris

3. gypsy0871

gypsy0871 Member

Thank you for your response. Everything is in the ground. I was told (by my mother) the coleus wont come back next year.
    Again, thanks for the response. I am very new to the whole gardening thing and all the help from everyone on this website is much appreciated!!

4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

FWIW, I spent about an hour yesterday knocking the heavy snow off some hedges and such. piled some extra snow on some potted stuff, to help insulate against the cold we now have. real basic winterizing tips.

5. jamkh

jamkh Active Member

Gypsy
    Hostas are very hardy can survive most winters without any protection. For the tropical hibiscus, you need to get them into pots and bring them indoors and give them as much light as you can. What you probably have is Hibiscus Syriacus (Rose of Sharon), which is winter hardy. You could keep them close to the house wall away from the prevailing winds if you think the winter is too severe.

6. gypsy0871

gypsy0871 Member

Thanks again for the replies. I am in Upstate NY and as of yet, Nov. 28, we haven't had any snow. It's been 60 degrees during the day. i guess it's supposed to change soon. Up until a couple weeks ago, my hostas were still blooming. Would it be helpful for me to mound mulch around the bases of the plants i'm leaving out doors?

7. jamkh

jamkh Active Member

There is no harm in having a mound of mulch to protect the bases of trunks or the eyes of underground rhizomes, bulbs, etc. Hostas can survive on their own without any addded protection. For roses, first spray lime sulphur and dormant oil and then mound with steer manure around the bases of trunks up to a height of 4 to 6 inches. In early spring you spread out the mound and this adds organic compost to your plants.When you have plants native to your area then winter protection becomes unnecessary.

8. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

if mounding organic material around the trunk of trees and/or woody shrubs, make sure to either keep it from touching the actual trunk in the first place or remove it from the trunk as soon as winter is over.

9. hortfreak

hortfreak Active Member Maple Society

Just across the lake from you. Generally we don't mulch until after the ground is frozen, the idea being to get it frozen and keep it frozen to prevent the freeze-thaw cycle that kills so many of the plants in our part of the world. The delay also keeps the little furry animals from making a winter home underneath and then feeding on the plant roots and/or bark. And yes, snow is a great insulator.

Roses should be hilled up, particularly if they are not hardy ones such as Explorer Series. I usually hill even those for the first winter just to be on the safe side.