Winterizing fig tree on South Vancouver Island

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Branka, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Branka

Branka Member

Hello,

I have planted a young fig tree at the end of September in south-west location. Last couple of nights the temperature dipped bellow 0 °C - what should I do to protect/winterize the fig?

Thank you

2. AlexH

AlexH Active Member

I saw a show on Gardener's Journal about a fellow in Toronto who buries his fig trees every year. I'm not exactly sure how he deals with the roots, but basically he bundles the tree up, digs a trench, and folds it down in there. Each spring he digs it up again. Just a thought. :)

3. smivies

smivies Active Member

Given your location & the success of others on the island & lower mainland growing figs outdoors, it probably doesn't need winter protection. Hopefully some BC natives with Fig growing experience will chime in?
    Fig & Olive tree thread

Simon

4. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

Normally figs are quite hardy on Van. Isle, provided they go dormant before a freeze. Which makes the freeze of the last two days a concern: mild weather over the past month has kept my figs in a state of active growth, and the sudden freeze has clearly done some harm; too late to do anything about it now, though aforementioned threads should provide good info. on future care.

5. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

I can't imagine "harm" coming to any fig tree with the light frosts of recent nights. There's plenty of old trees around to account for their reliability. They're deciduous and will go into domancy this tme of year.

Cheers, LPN.

6. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

-3 celsius at my place, active tip growth at the time. It really depends on your location; plenty of old trees around, to be sure....plenty of stories of young plants damaged by mild weather followed by a sudden freeze as well. It's not about their hardiness when dormant, which is well established; it's about their ability to withstand sub zero temps. during active growth. I think there is a substantial difference.